Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: This woman says it all!

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner Myra's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2000
    Posts
    2,554
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    I'm Not the Enemy

    By Reshma Memon Yaqub

    Thursday, September 13, 2001; Page A31

    The horror is unspeakable. Like every American, I am
    paralyzed by the carnage on the news, on our streets. My
    head pounds, thinking of the grief engulfing thousands of
    families whose loved ones were killed or injured Tuesday.
    When I close my eyes, I see bodies tumbling from the windows
    of skyscrapers.

    As the attack unfolded, I panicked, racing through what
    until this moment had felt like a safe, suburban
    neighborhood to find my son and his babysitter, who were
    playing, as usual, at a nearby park. I begged my husband,
    who was at work in a prominent Washington building, to come
    home. With the phone lines going in and out, I felt sure
    that it just wasn't over.

    Like every American, I am afraid. Wondering what this means
    for us. Wondering whether it's over, or when and where the
    next attack will take place. It's the first time I've felt
    the kind of fear I imagine that people in other countries
    feel when they are at war.

    Like every American, I am outraged. And I want justice. But
    perhaps unlike many other Americans, I'm feeling something
    else too. A different kind of fear. I'm feeling what my 6
    million fellow American Muslims are feeling -- the fear that
    we too will be considered guilty in the eyes of America, if
    it turns out that the madmen behind this terrorism were
    Muslim.

    I feel as though I've suddenly become the enemy of two
    groups -- those who wish to hurt Americans, and those
    Americans who wish to strike back. It's a frightening corner
    to be in. In the past, when lone Muslims have committed acts
    of terrorism -- or have been mistakenly assumed to be
    guilty, as in Oklahoma City -- hate crimes have abounded
    against American Muslims who look like they're from "that
    part of the world," against American mosques, against
    American children in Muslim schools who pray to the same
    peace-loving God as Jews and Christians.

    I am now not just afraid, as we all are, for our safety as
    Americans. I am also afraid for the safety of my
    sisters-in-law, who wear head scarves in public, and I
    implore them not to walk alone in the streets of our
    hometown. I am afraid for my brother, a civil rights lawyer
    who defends Muslims in high-profile discrimination cases. I
    am afraid to hear people openly state that Muslim blood is
    worthless and deserves to be spilled, as I heard when I was
    in college during the Persian Gulf War. I am afraid that my
    son won't understand why strangers aren't smiling at him the
    way they used to. I am afraid that we will be dehumanized
    because of our skin color, or features, or clothing. My
    heart aches each time a friend or relative calls, CNN
    blaring in the background, and sadly reminds me, "It's over
    for us now. Muslims are done for."

    I was briefly heartened to hear author Tom Clancy,
    interviewed on CNN, explaining that Islam is a peaceful
    religion and that
    we as Americans must not let go of our ideals of religious
    tolerance, because it's the way our country behaves when
    it's been
    hurt that really reflects who we are.

    Still, I'm afraid that Americans might view the televised
    images of a few misguided and deeply wounded people overseas

    celebrating the pain that America is now feeling, and will
    assume that I too must share that anti-American sentiment,
    that I, or
    my family, or my community, or my religion, could be part of
    the problem. In fact, every major American Muslim
    organization
    has decried this violence against us all. In fact, Islam
    forbids such acts of violence. In fact, all the Muslims I
    know cringe at the
    idea of our faith being used, abused, in the name of
    political agendas.

    And though I, like other Americans, want the perpetrators
    brought to justice, I shudder to think of the innocent lives
    that may
    be unnecessarily lost overseas in that pursuit. Children
    like ours. Mothers like us.

    Every time I hear of an act of terrorism, I have two
    prayers. My first is for the victims and their families. My
    second is, please
    don't let it be a Muslim. Because unlike when an act of
    terrorism is committed by a Christian or a Jew, when it is a
    Muslim, it's
    not considered an isolated act perpetrated by an isolated
    group of madmen. The entire faith is characterized as
    barbaric, as
    inhuman. And, my fellow Americans, I stand before you, as
    broken as you are, to tell you that it's not. That we are
    not. That
    we Muslims love our country as you do, and that we are
    bleeding and grieving alongside you.

    Reshma Memon Yaqub is a journalist who lives in Montgomery
    County.

    ? 2001 The Washington Post
    Company


    ------------------
    Hold fast to whats important and never let it go!

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Myra's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2000
    Posts
    2,554
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    2 of them are NOT women *L*

    ------------------
    Hold fast to whats important and never let it go!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Vera's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2001
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    These women are tougher than your woman.

    pvc1

  4. #4
    Inactive Member the Baffler's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 1st, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's important to not let go of the past.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Inactive Member juliet smiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 11th, 2000
    Posts
    803
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    oooo that was a good one... biggrin

    ------------------
    Embrace Life ~ Live~Laugh~Love

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner Myra's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2000
    Posts
    2,554
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Let go of your past and you will lose your future...

    ------------------
    Hold fast to whats important and never let it go!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member juliet smiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 11th, 2000
    Posts
    803
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    are you sure its only 2 that aren't women???

    ------------------
    Embrace Life ~ Live~Laugh~Love

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •